c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a Pre-Order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my Pre-Order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product. We will contact you by email if this changes significantly. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed. You can keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged once your pre-order has been despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my Pre-Order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 1.877.358.6405 or CustomerSupport@hornby.us
- Can I pay by PayPal for a Pre-Order? At present pre-orders can only be made using a credit or debit card.
- How many items can I Pre-Order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- Why is more than one delivery charge showing in my basket? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge if applicable.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my Pre-Order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my Pre-Order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take Pre-Orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our Pre-Orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your Pre-Order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a $10 gift voucher to spend on the Hornby website.
- Can I make a Pre-Order by post or telephone? At this time we can only take pre-orders via the website.
- Can I use a Club or discount code on Pre-Orders? Yes you can.
FREE delivery when you spend over $75
$8.00 for all orders under $75.00
We ship via USPS, UPS and FedEx depending on parcel contents
When Virgin Rail Group took over the Inter City West Coast franchise on March 9, 1997, the Train Operating Company (TOC) inherited a fleet of locomotive hauled British Rail Mark II and Mark III coaching stock, as well as British Rail Mark III Driving Van Trailers (DVT) and High Speed Train (HST) Mark III coach sets. These vehicles were in use on the West Coast Main Line (WCML) electric services, as well as the HST hauled London Euston to Holyhead routes.
Virgin’s franchise agreement included the commitment to replace the existing main line trains with tilting stock and the introduction of the Class 390 Pendolinos in January 2003 led to the withdrawal of locomotive hauled trains on the WCML by June 2005. On the Holyhead services, the intention was to replace the HST Mark III sets with Class 221 Super Voyagers from September 2004, but in both circumstances, the Mark III stock continued in service as cover across the various routes.
On the Holyhead services, the Super Voyagers were found to be too short and so Mark III sets were pressed into use as a stop-gap measure, hauled by Class 47 and Class 90 locomotives until September 2005. On the WCML, modifications to the Pendolinos in 2006 led to a Mark III set being introduced on Birmingham New Street services, hauled by a Class 87, while following the Greyrigg accident on February 23, 2007, another Mark III set was pushed into service on the WCML, being hauled by a Class 90 and tailed with a DVT.
The swansong for Mark III coaches under Virgin came with the formation of a refurbished Mark III set that came to be known as the Pretendolino set. Re-upholstered seating, power points, Wi-Fi and a full repaint took place at Wabtec’s Doncaster facility and the set entered service on Friday London Euston to Crewe services until December 2012, then on Thursday and Friday London Euston to Birmingham New Street services between December 2013 to October 2014.
Hornby is the UK’s leading model railway brand. Its high quality 00 gauge models (1:76) are slightly bigger than H0 (1:87), but will run on the same gauge track.
Technical Specification & Detail