When the London Midland Scottish Railway came up with its initial standard designs in 1947, it was considered that there was no call for a mixed traffic Class 4, 4-6-0 locomotive. The duties for which the 4-6-0 design were suited to were amply covered by existing traction types and it wasn’t until Nationalisation, in 1948, that the Western Region of British Rail felt that this type of locomotive was required for use on its secondary route services.
Locomotive 75008 was built at Swindon, to Lot 390, in 1951 and entered traffic with the Western Region at Shrewsbury. In October 1953 the locomotive was transferred to Cardiff Canton, before moving across the region to Oxford in October 1958. A move to Templecombe in July 1964 was followed by allocation to Exmouth Junction and then a move to Worcester, from where 75008 was withdrawn in December 1965.
Locomotive 75053 was built at Swindon, to Lot 408, in late 1956 and entered traffic with the London Midland Region at Chester Midland. A well-travelled locomotive, 75053 spent alternate spells at Ryhll and Chester Midland before moving on to Mold Junction in September 1960. In April 1962, a move to Bletchley was followed in January 1965 by allocation to Stoke-on-Trent, from where 75053 was withdrawn in September 1966.