Although the Southern Region’s requirement for an austerity 0-6-0 tender goods locomotive resulted from the Board and Operating Department reacting to the increase in freight and military traffic at the time of the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940, with one eye on electrification, cost savings on steam stock had been implemented since 1935. When Oliver Bulleid took over as Chief Mechanical Officer from Richard Maunsell in 1937, he inherited an ongoing order for twenty Q Class 0-6-0 locomotives, which proved less than satisfactory in service and were in no way suitable for the demands of wartime. The answer, for Bulleid and his team, was to start from scratch.
Locomotive C24 was built at Ashford and outshopped on June 26, 1942, entering traffic at Feltham. Renumbered to 33024 under British Railways, C24 was withdrawn from service from Three Bridges on August 25, 1963.
Locomotive 33032 was built at Ashford and outshopped on October 28, 1942, entering traffic at Feltham numbered C32. Renumbered to 33032 under British Railways, the locomotive was withdrawn from service from Guildford on January 5, 1964.