not out the woods yet still problems around the corner no doubt Rob took the time to work out wheel speeds which i did ask Alexa and i think she agreed i say think as she runs on if you ask her someing complicated which reminds me of a bloke i worked with if he was unsure he would run on like a that hoping to wear you down with rubbish.
i was never that good at maths so will pass i can remember at school the teacher saying 3d a hundred weight how much a ton? i would be thinking of what would i want a ton of? and if i did buy it where would i keep it?
but back to the engine and now i'm looking at the following..........
Having run the engine for some time now and happy with its performance finishing off some of the other parts can be under taken.The tender boiler being one of the next jobs as it was thought that heat generated here might damage the servo motor and so some lagging was fitted.The front section had a thick heat proof mat glued in place as here in these pictures.
The rest of the boiler had a thinner material glued all around the surfaces of the boiler the reason for the thinner covering was that the boiler is a very tight fit on the inside of the body sides.
The next thing to tackle was the front boggy wheels the wheels I was using were some in my spares box not sure what they were for but these Hornby wheels along with the truck fitted perfectly the only problem I had was some times they would short out on the cylinder covers. Others may have found this out with there live steam engines if curves are too tight.
To resolve this problem I decided to make the wheel centres a little smaller and then make up some new tyres.
But first I noticed there was a lot of sideways movement on the axle in the frames all due to the fact that the hole through the casting was a bit on the large size so some brass bearings were made up and pressed in place as in this picture.
The wheels had there old tyres machined off and the black plastic centres also machined down a faction.
Then the new tyres were machined up from stainless steel as in this picture here and pressed onto the plastic wheel centres.
Once the wheels and tyres were all made up the flange out side diameter was machined down to a set size and the back of the wheel flange was machined to give a good true running finish.
Here you see the 2 wheels complete and ready to fit in the truck frames I did spin them to make sure they had no wobbling side to side and they looked great.
The wheels in place a test run will prove if all this has worked of cause what will happen when the body is fitted I’m not sure there could be a problem with the wheels shorting on the front buffer beam but we will cross that bridge when we come to it.
Next the safety valve changes.
There was at least a 4 mm gap between the top of the supper heater and the inside top of the boiler shell and a short copper pipe which would run from the Hornby safety valve to the GWR type safety valve might just work.
The picture and drawing here shows the lay out of the parts.
The parts were made up as you can see in the pictures here notice the small hole in the copper pipe this should line up with the GWR| bonnet, testing will prove how successful this will be.
Next thing to build was the oil tank switch.
This pictures shows the parts to the switch that replaces the Hornby switch fitted to the regulator arm.
The switch contact is connected to the printed board at the rear of the chassis to work the LED.
I’m not sure if I will use the 2 colour LED as an indicator or just a single red LED.The light from the LED will shine via a fibre optic cable to the engines rear oil lamp.This lamp will show a dim red light at all times but when the switch closes in the oil tank the light will become much brighter telling the driver the engine is about to move off.
Here is the switch fitted and the red wire connected to the PCB all this needs to be tested out.
The drawing here shows the idea and lay out of the warning lighting system.