M Menu
b 0 Items s

SR9291 Gordon: Loose Connecting Rods

GNR-Gordon-4

4592 posts

I just opened up my R9291 Gordon to give him a run. Just looked at the connecting rods and they appear to be loose. This has put me off running Gordon, as I’m worried about damagong him. I assume that they are not supposed to be loose. The pins that hold the rods together are looking on the loose side. I assume they are supposed to be tight together?

Is this another common problem with the 2015 + Thomas range? Now I’m thinking about checking the connecting rods on my R9289 Edward, R9290 James and R9292 Henry.

GNR-Gordon-4

A Thomas & Friends OO, HO and OO-9 Model Railway Gauge's Collector Since 2005, an Eddie Stobart Spotter and Collector Since 2010 and an Airfix QUICK BUILD Collector Since 2017

walkingthedog

18171 posts

Just tighten the small screws that attach them to the wheels with some small pliers or get one of these to do the job. It is not particularly uncommon for these screw to loosen. More common on the right side I think.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/con-rod-nut-spanner-double-ended.html

WTD ........... Nurse, the screens.

GNR-Gordon-4

4592 posts

Thank you WTD. I wouldn’t trust myself relating it. Will pop to my local model shop and some point and ask same man who repaired Henry’s tender wheels to do it.

Also, just checked R9292 Henry and his rods are loose too. There’s a surprise. It’s so sad that the current Thomas models have so many faults. Poor manufacturing, poor paint finishes, loose parts, etc. Frown

GNR-Gordon-4

A Thomas & Friends OO, HO and OO-9 Model Railway Gauge's Collector Since 2005, an Eddie Stobart Spotter and Collector Since 2010 and an Airfix QUICK BUILD Collector Since 2017

walkingthedog

18171 posts

Like I said Jacob it isn’t uncommon, absolutely nothing to do with the Thomas Range which you seem to think  is full of faults. The screws loosen because the wheels go round . It can happen on any loco with connecting rods. I check mine occasionally. 

WTD ........... Nurse, the screens.

GNR-Gordon-4

4592 posts

OK, I didn’t realise this. I’ve never noticed loose rods on any locomotive I’ve owned. Is more damage likely to be caused, if it runs with loose pins.

Also, the pins on Edward and James appear IK, but will get them checked out just in case. Haven’t checked my Thomas or Percy yet.

GNR-Gordon-4

Shadow.Monk

253 posts

I own all of the 2015 range, seems perfect to me :)

GNR-Gordon-4

4592 posts

I own almost of all of it, apart from Gordon's Coaches. Will be getting them soon.

GNR-Gordon-4

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Hornby Forum is intended for discussion of all things model railways. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Hornby Forum offers a user community for all those interested in railways.
  • Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Hornby Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses). 
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Hornby Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product