R9291 Gordon: Loose Connecting Rods

NWR-Gordon-4

I just opened up my R9291 Gordon to give him a run. Just looked at the connecting rods and they appear to be loose. This has put me off running Gordon, as I’m worried about damagong him. I assume that they are not supposed to be loose. The pins that hold the rods together are looking on the loose side. I assume they are supposed to be tight together?

Is this another common problem with the 2015 + Thomas range? Now I’m thinking about checking the connecting rods on my R9289 Edward, R9290 James and R9292 Henry.

GNR-Gordon-4

Thank you WTD. I wouldn’t trust myself relating it. Will pop to my local model shop and some point and ask same man who repaired Henry’s tender wheels to do it.

Also, just checked R9292 Henry and his rods are loose too. There’s a surprise. It’s so sad that the current Thomas models have so many faults. Poor manufacturing, poor paint finishes, loose parts, etc.  ☹️

GNR-Gordon-4

OK, I didn’t realise this. I’ve never noticed loose rods on any locomotive I’ve owned. Is more damage likely to be caused, if it runs with loose pins.

Also, the pins on Edward and James appear IK, but will get them checked out just in case. Haven’t checked my Thomas or Percy yet.

GNR-Gordon-4

Archived