M Menu
b 0 Items s

COVID-19 UPDATE: Our web shop currently remains open to customers. We are constantly reviewing this in light of government advice and in discussion with our fulfilment partners. However, delays in local delivery may occur which are outside of our control - we apologise in advance for this.

STrack Plan 12th Edition Layout 7 HELP

Ralphy5

24 posts

I am new to DCC and want to build and transform the Track Plan 12th Edition Layout 7 to having the option of using either the Elite Controller and when more experienced use the E Link. I have purchased both.

I have both the track Master which has this layout and Rail Master which doesn't?

I also purchased a reverse module, power booster and accessory decoders, but am not sure where to put them.

Does anyone know how to do this.  Example where I need to put Isolation pieces , Reverse, Power, Booster ect to the various parts of the Layout.

PLEASE HELP ME

Best Regards,

Ralphy

RogerB

2550 posts

Community Moderator

Hello Peter - welcome to the forum. Don't worry someone will be able to help. I suspect though that some folk, like me, dont have access to the track plan book you are discussing. Can you post an image?

Being new to the form you will be restricted on the number of posts you can make for the first 24 hours and any image you can put up will need to be moderated. However, you will be able to read all posts made in reply. If you cannot post an image just at the moment can you have a look here (sorry cannot make it a clickable link)

http://www.freetrackplans.com/Hornby-Plans.php

- and tell those of us without the book if the plan you have in mind is one of those listed? R-

OO Gauge : 9 Locomotives : RM Pro : Elite Controller : Select as Walkabout : Dell Laptop W10

Chrissaf

12102 posts

Community Moderator

Peter, welcome to the forum.

A picture tells a thousand words, so here are two thousand words.

The first image shows that you could have run the whole layout from a single Elite controller and still used RailMaster (RM). The Elite is totally compatible with RM and does it more reliably too. Some users have had issues with eLink. The Elite allows the two control knobs to be used simultaneously with RM in real time. Movements of the Elite control knobs can be fed back into RM and move the RM throttle sliders on screen in synchronisation.

This second image shows how you can make use of the second controller (eLink) to run your accessories. As well as making use of your current investment (since you have already purchased both Elite & eLink) the 4 amp power supply of the Elite can be totally dedicated to running locos. The 1 amp power supply of the eLink can then be dedicated to running Accessories (1 amp is far more than enough for Accessories). 

Both images show how to deploy a Reverse Loop Module (RLM). Without seeing your proposed track layout we cannot confirm whether a RLM is actually required or not in your plan. I have included a reverse loop definition in the drawing that might help you decide whether you do or not.

You may have purchased the 'Booster' unnecessarily. Very few domestic layouts need one, they are just not large enough. 'Boosters' are usually referred to more frequently in USA model railway literature. Once the size and design of your 'Track Plan' is shown to us, we would be in a better position to advise further on 'Booster' connectivity. As Roger said above, if you can match your proposed 'Track Plan' from the book with the 'Track Plan' listed on the web site Roger gave the link for, then we can all see the web site version. Unfortunately, the web site doesn't use the book track layout numbering scheme. You could alternatively post a 'screen capture' of your proposed track plan taken from your TrackMaster application.

Chris........ Making the wood in the trees visible.

RogerB

2550 posts

Community Moderator

@ Peter

Here is the web-site I referred to earlier, now as a clickable link.

Free track plan website.

R-

OO Gauge : 9 Locomotives : RM Pro : Elite Controller : Select as Walkabout : Dell Laptop W10

Ralphy5

24 posts

Hi Roger and Chris,

First thankyou for your very quick reponse,advise and help. Chris the pic info is fantastic.

Guys I have posted a scanned copy of the layout which is from the  Hornby Book R8140 so hopefully it will be posted soon.

I trust that should be of assistance in helping me. 

Again thankyou very very much with your help, it really is appreciated, as no one here knows about DCC in my local area. I am disabled and unable to travel very far, and have had  a lot of trouble understanding it all from the internet.

Kindest regards,

Peter ( From Brisbane Australia )

RogerB

2550 posts

Community Moderator

Whilst we're waiting for moderation to occur Peter - I imagine you have looked at websites such as this one. Obviously my geography won't be as good as yours. R-

Ralphy5

24 posts

RogerB

2550 posts

Community Moderator

Crikey Peter, that's adventurous. Would I be correct in thinking that you have had DC layouts previously? Not that it matters, except to understand your skill levels a little.

I forgot to mention in my earlier posts that we have quite a few Australian members on here, so perhaps one of them might know a bit more about clubs in your State.

I think you will find you have reached your post level  - 3 only in the first 24 hours.

R-

Fishmanoz

9842 posts

Peter, Roger and Chris, I have the track plan book but have been out for the evening so only just have had the chance to get back.  For Roger and Chris, the book has little more info except it colour codes the track pieces and tells you how many of each piece is needed.  It tells you nothing about power connections, IRJs needed or what makes up the RLs.

Chris, now you can see an RLM is needed, in fact while I've yet to get my head around that area to be definitive about exactly how to view the RLs and their isolated sections, I'm pretty sure two will be needed for flexibility in operating the RH loops.

Peter, Roger has used the word adventurous.  I'll go a little further and say that before I attempted to build this, I would be doing some testing on functionality.  The things I'd be checking would be first the inclines as you'll find the recommendations on here are for a much lesser gradient than in this layout using standard Hornby inclined pier spacings.  Then I'd be making sure the curved points work without derailing locos and carriages as configured,  then also derailing on the standard points.

Then in Chris's diagrams, I personally see little point in splitting the DCC control into track and accessories.  I'd keep with the simpler writing.  And yes use the Elite and put the eLink in the bottom drawer (next to the Select if you have one of those).

This layout does not need a booster as such, nowhere near big enough for that.  However, as it needs two RLMs, the booster can be used as the second one as it does polarity switching just like and RLM.

I'll think more on the RLs and come back with ideas tomorrow if no one else does.  You will only need IRJs for the idol;aged sections in those, not elsewhere.

and thanks for all the fish

Fishmanoz

9842 posts

Sorry, in first line of 3rd last para, writing should be wiring.  Then in last para idol;aged should be isolated.  Couldn't edit those as they are hidden under the editing buttons (still not fixed Adam).

and thanks for all the fish

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Hornby Forum is intended for discussion of all things model railways. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Hornby Forum offers a user community for all those interested in railways.
  • Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Hornby Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses). 
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Hornby Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product