M Menu
b 0 Items s

COVID-19 UPDATE: Our web shop currently remains open to customers. We are constantly reviewing this in light of government advice and in discussion with our fulfilment partners. However, delays in local delivery may occur which are outside of our control - we apologise in advance for this.

SN Scale locomotive couplers [Arnold]

Donsur

3 posts

I am in dire need of engine couplers for two Arnold/Hornby Uboat diesel n scale engines. Upon removing the shell, which calls for the removal first of the couplers from each end to install the DCC module, the couplers self fell apart. I have no way to reinstall the engine(s) shell. I have tried Micro Trains website but nothing is clear enough to ascertain the size of each coupler. i did buy some body mount couplers, but alas they were to wide. I would appreciate any information from anyone that knows of where and what to buy to replace these missing couplers.

If your Arnòld loco was originaly fitted with knuckle couplers I see no reason why Micro Trains couplers would not make a suitable replacement.

Tim@Hornby

37 posts

Hi,

I would suggest a quick call or email to our office in Tacoma. They handed the U-Boat model and have lots of spare parts in their warehouse. Hopefuly including the one you need.

For speed, I'd check the leaflet in the box for which part number you need to ask for.

Train Support: TechSupport@hornby.us  1.877.358.6405 x114

Donsur

3 posts

Yes I have Mico Trains couplers. Problem was the opening for each coupler was way too small. I had to file out a quite large opeing before the couplers would pass through. I didn't want to do this, but I have since done some major cutting and filing to make the Micro Trains coupler fit. 

4wd action

3 posts

the locomotive should have nem pockets

4wd action

3 posts

depends on what year the model is

trainns

1 post

4wd action is right the loco should nem pockets

ellocoloco

420 posts

@trainns

@4wd action

The U-boat is from 2015/16. Exactly what NEM standard would you expect the couplers on this model of a US N scale prototype to adhere to?

@Donsur

Hopefully you have managed to get the Microtrains coupler to operate successfully. If not, then an Accumate might work. I found this Arnold U25c/28c review quite interesting with coupler details part way through. It also mentions the challenges of removing the body and not losing the coupler springs!

There was also some discussion on this forum about the U25c in the past.

Donsur

3 posts

I have been around the world trying to find replacement couplers. No one can help and in some cases just didn't responed to my request for help. Ive been to the U.K. U.S.A. and China going to every place everyone has recommended and to no avail. I give up and going to simply trash the two locomotives. From now on I will only buy from companies that can provide customer support and Arnold is not one of them..  

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Hornby Forum is intended for discussion of all things model railways. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Hornby Forum offers a user community for all those interested in railways.
  • Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Hornby Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses). 
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Hornby Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

This site uses cookies to provide users with the best experience possible, to find out more about them or how to remove cookies from your browser please view our Privacy Policy Or accept cookies to continue to use the website.
Membership Restricted Product