Identifying old Hornby 1080’s gordon color?

Margate_Era_FTW

Correct, Gordon is blue. If he's not blue, then it's not Gordon. Hornby have produced several batches of Gordons. Most are coloured plastic. Most are of darker blues. Most recent Gordons from the past 10 years or so appear to be painted and are much lighter, particulary the current model (R9291).

They isn't a particular name for any of the colours you can get on a Hornby Gordon. The colour differnces are due to different batches and as I have already said, colour plasticing the body, or painting it. No particular colour is used. As long as he is blue, then that the most important thing!  😆

GNR-Gordon-4

When I’m trying to match colour to an old model I take it to my local model shop where they have a huge range of paints and I can hold them against the colour chart on the stands. As already stated above, each batch made is usually a slightly different colour. It may be necesssary to paint the whole loco if you can’t get a good match.

I agree with you there WTD. I always refer to my car as 'she', as well as real life trains. However, when it comes Thomas tarins, if they are a male character, I refer to them as 'he'. If they are a female character, I refer to them as 'she'. This due to the genders they have been given, so that's how I refer to them. Orindary though, I would otherwise refer to them as females.

GNR-Gordon-4

On a lighter note, I will go to my local B & Q tomorrow and pick-up some of their colours of  paint leaflets.I will compare the nearest colour to UK Gordon.I will either name colour or colour number.I used to use that method of determing colour years ago when I was looking for rare Matchbox models of Yesterday variations.

I think the thing we need to remember here, is that the paint you find on the shelf at B&Q, is made to be painted on to the wall. Paint you see painted on to a model railway locomotive, is modeller's paint which is different. I very much doubt you would find the exact colour that Hornby paint Gordon with, in the Humbrol paint range, which is made by Hornby Hobbies. I think you will find that the paint used in the Hornby Thomas & Friends range, at least, or in all model railway range's, has an exclusive paint which you wouldn't find the exact match in a modellers paint range, such as Humbrol.

Thank you for trying, however new lad on block. What ever outcome you were going to find out today, whether you can get the correct colour, or not, at B&Q, was nevertheless interesting.

GNR-Gordon-4

@New lad on block

Using paint colour charts won't be much good.

If you take the model to a paint retailer (possibly including B&Q) they should be able to scan it and produce an identical or almost identical colour.

500ml sample pots are relatively inexpensive and often come in a variety of paint types.

I have had paint matched on a number of occasions in Australia but I think this would also be available in the UK.

@Postman Prat

Looks a little dark. Thomas, Edward and Gordon are a bit lighter than that, but are still similar. Thanks for the image though.  😀

@NormanQ4

I do believe B&Q have paint matching up machines, but I could be wrong. I have never ever been to B&Q, needing to use this service, hence why not being terribly sure about it. Is this not an expensive way to buy paint? You get the exact colour you want, but it's not cheap.

GNR-Gordon-4

@GNR-Gordon-4

I can't understand why anyone would comment that they don't know something since that's no help to anyone.

I haven't done a lot of things in my life, but I've never felt the need to tell anyone, probably since I didn't think that they would be interested.

Surely you could have spent your time better by googling B&Q paint sample pot and then perhaps actually having some useful information to share.

Sample pots are usually very cheap probably around £1.50 - £2.00

HI,Further to P. P. photos, I have taken photo of Hornby Tornado in blue.Photo 1 shows Back to Front, Tornado R3245TTs, Gordon UK. R383,Canadian Pacific R2171, King Henry III R3410,Cl. 25 R337.Second photo paint samples from B & Q./media/tinymce_upload/292595bcb39a89a7fe3246d44c86d877.JPG/media/tinymce_upload/d2421c8d2325b1925b9c839bb650e0ab.JPG

Archived