M Menu
b 0 Items s

SHornby 1951 Festival Of Britain U type pullman Cars

Hi

I would like a coach pack of 3 different U type pullman to go with the train pack the Golden Arrow Last Steam Run as at the moment there are no matching coaches to extend the 3 in the train pack to maybe a rake of 6 coaches would be really useful to have a matching coach pack with golden arrow insignia on the coaches

LC&DR

9048 posts

Count me in on this! I would love a set to go with my Hornby class 71, and with 34100 Appledore too. Umber & cream of course!

Green trains are best!

+1 for the Festival of Britain Pullmans.

With Hornby having made something of a reputation for its excellent Pullmans of various types, including the Brighton Belle, I am a little surprised that we haven't seen the Festival of Britain variety yet.

bulleidboy

3225 posts

Please forgive my ignorance, as I'm not to familiar with the different Hornby Pullmans "U" and "K" types, but if you wanted a rake of six (or more), with the Golden Arrow insignia, could you not use coaches from the R2369  The Golden Arrow - Chloria, Niobe and Cecilia or R4196 Golden Arrow Coach Pack - Adrian, Onyx and Zenobia?

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away

LC&DR

9048 posts

The following 1951 cars survived into preservation / further use

Perseus  -- VSOE/Belmond (Toilet window now oval)

Aries -- grounded as resturant

Aquila -- Colne Valley, under rerstoration

Orion --  'grounded' as resturant

Carina -- Bluebell Railway for restoration

Cygnus -- VSOE/Belmond (Toilet window now oval)

Pegasus -- Crewe LNWR Co.

also Phoenix -- VSOE /Belmond (Toilet window now oval)

Green trains are best!

LC&DR

9048 posts

BB,

In 1951 for the Festival of Britain Pullman (by then owned by British Railways) constructed a full new train for the 'Golden Arrow' service. These new cars were similar to the 1927 class K cars (but not the slightly later 'Queen of Scots' 'all-steel' cars) and the first class cars were all named after stellar constelations. These cars could be distinguished by the rectangular lavatory windows and the fact they ran on Gresley pattern bogies . 

As the level of traffic dropped during the 1960s these cars were gradually replaced in the 'Arrer' by BR Mark 1 carriages, although a few did remain in use right up to the end in 1972. When the HA class electric locomotives were introduced in that service in 1961 these Pullmans were converted to electric heating and were therefore the only Pullmans which could be used on the Golden Arrow from 1961 until 1972 .

Surprisingly Hornby Dublo introduced three Pullman cars to their range in 1960 and one of them 'Aries' was modelled reasonably accurately on the 1951 car, with rectangular lavatory window and Gresley bogies, although they did not represent the underframe truss which the 1951 cars had.

Sadly they got the other two more wrong baseing the bodywork on the 1928 'Queen of Scots' cars with oval lavatory windows (Car 74 and Car 79) but placing them on Gresley bogies instead of Pullman Standard ten footers.

Green trains are best!

81F

3401 posts

@LC&DR

The following 1951 cars survived into preservation / further use

Perseus  -- VSOE/Belmond (Toilet window now oval)

Aries -- grounded as resturant

Aquila -- Colne Valley, under rerstoration

Orion --  'grounded' as resturant

Carina -- Bluebell Railway for restoration

Cygnus -- VSOE/Belmond (Toilet window now oval)

Pegasus -- Crewe LNWR Co.

also Phoenix -- VSOE /Belmond (Toilet window now oval)

I would not say Orion was "Grounded" as it still has its underframe and bogies and is mounted on a short sectrion of track at PECORAMA in Beer Devonm though I believe it may now be behind glass to protect it from the sea air

Modelling the GWR in the Welsh Borders, and the Glyn Valley Tramway with quite a few bits from elsewhere!

LC&DR

9048 posts

Yes, thanks for that, although I guess it ain't going anywhere very soon!

Green trains are best!

bulleidboy

3225 posts

Thanks for the info. LC&DR and 81F.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Hornby Forum is intended for discussion of all things model railways. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Hornby Forum offers a user community for all those interested in railways.
  • Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Hornby Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses). 
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Hornby Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product