M Menu
b 0 Items s

SThe Engine Shed - STOP PRESS: Hornby 2018 Mid-year Announcement!

Administrator

975 posts

Announcement alert! We have no less than 29 new items to add to the Hornby range in our special mid-year reveal and the latest edition of The Engine Shed takes a look at some of the highlights!

krislous

6 posts

Some interesting additions.

The Huntley and Palmer Peckett freight limited edition pack looks good.

However, my eyes were drawn to the 2 new examples of the newly tooled Duchess class.

As exciting as it is to see them I was a bit perplexed as to why Hornby have chosen 2 examples of the class that have been produced in recent years and not ones from 20 years (or more) in the past;

With ‘Duchess of Gloucester‘ I remember this exact example and livery (BR Express Blue) from the 2004/05 range. As for ‘City of Edinburgh‘ this came out as recently as 2011/12, again in BR Express Blue (as I purchased this one).

As a suggestion it would’ve been nice to see an example of one not seen for a while, say ‘Duchess of Norfolk‘, ‘Duchess of Rutland’, ‘City of Lichfield’, ‘City of Stoke on Trent’ or even the 2nd Ivatt modified example ‘City of Salford’.

I don’t wish to come across unappreciative as I always look forward to new product announcements but maybe some wider research into different class members would be nice

choralc

1050 posts

I too think the Peckett Pack is a good looker. So much so that if I had the purchasing power of a few years ago the pre-order would already be done.

choralc Mareeba, FNQ, Australia. British Railway Modellers of Australia #1370. Far North Queensland Model Railway Club. RailMaster (ACER/Vista OS), eLink, Elite, Select (yeah, yeah, I know). OO and N.

Postman Prat

6008 posts

Hi Krislois

You could always renumber one yourself. Complete 'change of identity' sets (nameplates, smokebox no. plate, transfers for cabside) are available from Modelmaster, in Ayr and I believe Fox Transfers.

Smile

PP.......... The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you

GNR-Gordon-4

2896 posts

Thank you for the alert, Adam. However, I am disappointed of what is there. Nothing there worth adding to my collection, of what I collect.

Also, how do these items corresponded with ‘The Engine Shed’?

GNR-Gordon-4

A Thomas & Friends OO, HO and OO-9 Model Railway Gauge's Collector Since 2005, an Eddie Stobart Spotter and Collector Since 2010 and an Airfix QUICK BUILD Collector Since 2017; Living in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom.

Excellent! I'm overjoyed by the additional W4 Pecketts, I think I shall pre-order the "Port of London" one.

I'm sitting on the fence about the Blue Duchess, I'd much prefer "City of Salford" in that colour.

I'd also love to have that GWR Train Pack but I don't have the budget to buy it (no I do not think it's over-priced).

I already have the Huntley & Palmer's Peckett and I wanted the Huntley and Palmer's wagons on the new chassis so I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't buy the wagons separately. Hopefully some day Hornby will release a Huntley & Palmer's wagon pack by itself.

I'm a bit worried about the prices of the accessories like the platform fencing. I'm not usually one to complain about prices but for such things yes. Firstly there's a huge second hand supply of these and if not people might end up resin casting these things to save money, seen a fellow do it on YouTube. That's a loss for you guys.

Unlike others I didn't go overboard with the whole speculation and obviously I am not disappointed because I was never under the impression that new-tooling items were going to be announced and nor was I theorising that Hornby are buying Oxford Rail....

I was however hoping for a Caledonian Sleeper Class 87 (in the correct colours).

Have a look at my latest "detailing projects" and "CAD" work here... https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/17645/?p=1

@GNR-Gordon-4

Also, how do these items corresponded with ‘The Engine Shed’?

GNR-Gordon-4

"The Engine Shed" is a blog that's simply there to act as a medium of transfer of news and communication.

Have a look at my latest "detailing projects" and "CAD" work here... https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/17645/?p=1

GNR-Gordon-4

2896 posts

I don‘t really know much about The Engine Shed, or what it is for. I have never read anything in this part of the Hornby Forum, before.

Also, when the main announcements post for this year, was released back in January, why was posted in General Discussion and not in The Engime Shed?

GNR-Gordon-4

A Thomas & Friends OO, HO and OO-9 Model Railway Gauge's Collector Since 2005, an Eddie Stobart Spotter and Collector Since 2010 and an Airfix QUICK BUILD Collector Since 2017; Living in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom.

LC&DR

8453 posts

I have pre-ordered the PLA Peckett, to go with (pre-dated of course ) the PLA 'Janus' I also have on order.

The new stuff is great if you are a fan of Paddington 24/7 of course!

Green trains are best!

GNR-Gordon-4

2896 posts

I'm not fan of Paddington Bear. If I wanted a Class 800, I would get the standard GWR liveried one, the one that has already been released, not one with Paddington Bear all over! Undecided Laughing

GNR-Gordon-4

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Hornby Forum is intended for discussion of all things model railways. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Hornby Forum offers a user community for all those interested in railways.
  • Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Hornby Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses). 
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Hornby Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product