BR 4-6-2 'City of Birmingham' Princess Coronation Class with TTS Sound - Era 5
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
Please note: the crest on this model is part of the nameplate included in the accessory bag.
The demands of maintaining the streamlined form of the Princess Coronation Class exceeded the cost savings to the LMS in coal and in October 1945 the decision was taken to remove the streamlining. This process (defrocking as the fitters called it) began with 6235 City of Birmingham in April 1946 and because the smokeboxes were angled down between the chimney and door to accommodate the sweep of the streamlined casing, they retained this look once the casing was removed. Eventually the raked smokeboxes were replaced with conventional smokeboxes, so that by late 1958 the majority of the fleet showed a similar appearance, although all the defrocked locomotives had the split platform ‘utility’ front end.
Withdrawal of the class commenced in December 1962 and by October 1964 all thirty eight had been withdrawn. Fortunately, three locomotives were saved for preservation; 6229 Duchess of Hamilton, 6233 Duchess of Sutherland and 6235 City of Birmingham.46235 City of Birmingham was built with streamlining at Crewe and entered traffic there on July 1, 1939, finally being withdrawn from service in 1964. 46235 was prepared by British Railways for preservation and following storage at Nuneaton MPD, moved to the Birmingham Museum of Science and Industry, which was built around the locomotive. After closure of that museum, City of Birmingham was moved to Thinktank, Birmingham Science Museum in 1997.
Minimum radius curve 2nd radius + / 438mm+
- F0 Headlight/rearlight
- F1 Steam/exhaust/coasting
- F2 Whistle long
- F3 Whistle medium
- F4 Whistle short bursts
- F5 Whistle "fancy"
- F6 Wheel slip
- F7 Coal shovelling
- F8 Coal pusher
- F9 Safety valve
- F10 Injector
- F11 Cyclinder cock
- F12 Brake
- F13 Blower
- F14 Guard's whistle
- F15 Coupler clank
- F16 Fireman's breakfast
- F17 Toggle sounds mode
- F18 Aux lighting
- F19 Whistle long/short
- F20 Whistle 2 short bursts
- F21 Whistle "strange"
- F22 Blow down
Our Hornby engineers have developed a unique sound decoder that not only provides superior DCC control but also dedicated sounds associated with the locomotives that have been installed with this new sound decoder - TTS Twin Track Sound.
Hornby is a household name and is famous as the UK's brand leader in the model railway hobby with its high quality 00 gauge (1:76) models and accessories.
Detailed scale model. Not suitable for children under 14 years.Please refer to the safety notes in the enclosed instruction leaflet. Colours and contents may differ from those illustrated. Please retain these details and the address for future reference.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|DCC Type||DCC Fitted|
|Designer||Sir William Stanier|
|Motor||5 Pole Skew Wound|
- NEM Couplings
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.