M Menu
b 0 Items s

Sorry the BR 0-6-0 Fowler 4F Class '44198' - Late BR with TTS Sound is no longer available...

We're sorry, the website has sold out of this item and we're not expecting any more stock.

Your local model retailer may still have this item - search for your local stockist here.

Alternatively, search the website for similar items.

BR 0-6-0 Fowler 4F Class '44198' - Late BR with TTS Sound

Item code: R3460TTS

Derived from the London Midland and Scottish Railway’s classic superheated freight engine, the 0-6-0 3835 Class, (originally introduced in 1911), Henry Fowler’s 4F was designed for medium freight work. Representing the ultimate development of the Midland Railway's six coupled tender engines, there were only a few modifications to the design and it became the largest class to carry LMS as its owner. The Midland Railway had, in the early 20th century, adopted a ‘small engine’ policy that gave rise to a number of design compromises.

This in turn led to higher coal consumption and smaller than expected axle boxes from which the reduced bearing area made them prone to overheating. Being a development design, naturally the Fowler Class 4 was also subject to these failings which, along with its tendency towards developing cracked mainframes, led to a reputation of being a difficult engine. However, they were robust, well built and easily maintained and the LMS constructed 535 of the locomotives between 1923 and 1928, with a further 45 examples being authorised by William Stanier in 1937 at the Operating Department’s behest.


The Class 4 locomotives were built at a variety of different works, 150 being built by outside contractors, with the remainder being built at the LMS’s workshops at Derby (185), Crewe (165), St. Rollox (60) and Horwich (10). The contract works were those at North British Locomotive Company, Kerr, Stuart & Co, Armstrong Whitworth and Andrew Barclay & Sons Co. Only the Stanier Class 5s and 8Fs were eventually built in greater numbers. Despite their shortcomings, the 4Fs handled some of the heaviest mineral work across the LMS system, even though ex-LNWR, ex-L&Y and Standard 0-8-0s were also available for the work. Where one engine couldn’t handle the job, two usually could and they were frequently seen double-heading. They were widespread across the network, not just because of their numbers, but because the LMS had a great use for them, for a variety of jobs.

The first withdrawal came in 1954 when 43862 was taken out of service, however, it wasn’t until 1959 when mass withdrawal from service began in earnest, yet still some found use as works shunters at Crewe. With so many to dispose of it wasn’t until 1966 that the final ones were consigned to the scrapyard, fortunately though, four survived to be preserved. Locomotive 44198 entered service in October 1925, having been built at the LMS’s St. Rollox Works under Lot 011, as LMS 4198. Its post-war allocation was spent at Hurlford Shed, from where it was withdrawn from service on December 29, 1962. Reinstated during February 1963, the locomotive was finally scrapped during late February 1964 at T.W. Ward’s of Langloan, Airdrie.

Our Hornby engineers have developed a unique sound decoder that not only provides superior DCC control but also dedicated sounds associated with the locomotives that have been installed with this new sound decoder - TTS Twin Track Sound. The TTS Sound Manual for this locomotive can be downloaded here

  • Headlight/Rearlight
  • Background Steam/Steam exhaust/Coasting On-Off
  • Whistle Long
  • Whistle Medium
  • Whistle Short
  • Whistle Two Bursts

  • Wheel Slip
  • Coal Shovelling
  • Blow Down
  • Safety valve
  • Injector
  • Cylinder Cock
  • Brake

  • Blower
  • Guard's Whistle & Acknowledgement
  • Coupler Clank
  • Fireman's Breakfast
  • Toggle 'Chuffing' & 'Coasting'

Search for your local stockists
Membership Restricted Product