Wainwright H Class 0-4-4T Late BR
Item code: R3539
Running number: 31518
The H Class was Harry Wainwright’s solution to updating the ageing 2-4-0 and 0-4-2T stock running on the South Eastern and Chatham Railway at the turn of the 20th century and was very much a development of Kirtley’s R Class and subsequent R1 design. Sixty six locomotives were built by Ashford Works, with No.540 being the first engine delivered on November 7, 1904 and No.184 the last, in April 1915.