LNER, A4 Class, 4-6-2, 4468 Mallard - Era 3 - Limited Edition Anniversary Pack
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a pre-order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my pre-order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product, please note that this date can change due to changes in manufacturing and shipping schedules. These dates are updated monthly, keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders for the latest estimated arrival date. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed.
What happens if the price of my item changes while on pre-order? If the price of your pre-order item changes after you have placed your order, we will only ever charge you the lowest price between time of ordering and when the item comes into stock and is despatched to you. For example, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently increased, you will still be charged the original price. However, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently decreased, you will be charged the lower price.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged when the items are in-stock and ready to be despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my pre-order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 01843 233525 or email@example.com
- Can I pay by PayPal for a pre-order? Yes you can.
- How many items can I pre-order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- How do delivery charges apply to pre-orders? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock and will therefore incur delivery charges where applicable. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my pre-order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my pre-order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take pre-orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our pre-orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your pre-order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a £10 gift voucher to spend on the website.
- Can I make a pre-order by post or telephone? Yes you can, but payment must be with a credit/debit card. Please call our Customer Care team on 01843 233525 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can I use a Club or discount code on pre-orders? Yes you can.
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
WORLD STEAM RECORD ANNIVERSARY PACK
LIMITED EDITION OF 1,260 MODELS
- • 18 carat Gold plating on the running gear and other metal parts
- • Wooden plinth (340mm x 50mm x 25mm) with 18 carat Gold plated rails
- • Reproduction World Speed Record plaque
In 1937, the rivalry between the East Coast and West Coast rail routes to Scotland had reached an intensity not seen since the events of the 1895 ‘Race to the North’. Both the LMS and LNER were running Pacific locomotives of outstanding quality, with Stanier’s Princess Coronations being pitched against Gresley’s A4 Class; a battle between the streamliners.
The LNER had the edge in speed, due to lighter trains and more sympathetic topography, but the LMS stunned their rivals when, on a press run preparatory to the introduction of the ‘Coronation Scot’ service on June 29, 1937, the newly built 6220 Coronation achieved a British steam speed record of 114mph on the descent of Madeley Bank, near Crewe.
Those who knew Sir Nigel Gresley well, knew that he would not be prepared to accept this situation and a covert plan to regain the record for the LNER was planned. Under the cover of a vacuum brake valve approval trial, a date was set for the LNER to reclaim the British steam speed record and, if all went well, to reclaim the world steam speed record from Germany's streamlined 4-6-4 Hudson 05 002, that had set a speed of 124½ mph. On Sunday, July 3rd, 1938, Gresley put his plan into operation.
The four month old A4 Pacific, 4468 Mallard, with its regular, highly experienced crew of driver Joe Duddington and fireman Thomas Bray, replaced the normal Kings Cross locomotive and the LNER’s Dynamometer Car was surreptitiously inserted into the train, with Gresley’s personal assistant, Bernard Adkinson and the LNER’s Test Inspector Dennis Carling onboard. Joining Duddington and Bray on the footplate for the run was Liverpool Street’s Inspector, Sam Jenkins.
At 16:15, the train left Barkston South Junction and once beyond Stoke Tunnel, at Stoke summit, Mallard was running at 74½ mph. Within six miles, the British record was back with the LNER, the train running at 116mph and by the time the train reached Milepost 92¼, it was running at over 122¼ mph and the world record was a distinct possibility. At milepost 90¼, just before Essendine on the 1-in-240 gradient, the Dynamometer Car’s measuring equipment recorded a blip of acceleration over a distance of just 60 yards in a 305 yard section where the speed was recorded at 125mph. For just one second, Mallard had hit 126mph and the world steam speed record was back with a British locomotive.
Please note, due to the popularity of this item a maximum of two per customer may be ordered.
Hornby is a household name and is famous as the UK's brand leader in the model railway hobby with its high quality 00 gauge (1:76) models and accessories.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|DCC Type||DCC Ready|
|Period||Era 3 (1923 - 1947)|
|Operator/Livery||LNER, Garter Blue|
|Limited Edition Size||1,260|
|Designer||Sir Nigel Gresley|
|Minimum Curve||2nd Radius + (438mm)|
|Motor||5 Pole Skew Wound. Loco Drive|