RailRoad 4-6-2 'Tornado' Peppercorn Class A1
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a pre-order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my pre-order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product, please note that this date can change due to changes in manufacturing and shipping schedules. These dates are updated monthly, keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders for the latest estimated arrival date. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed.
What happens if the price of my item changes while on pre-order? If the price of your pre-order item changes after you have placed your order, we will only ever charge you the lowest price between time of ordering and when the item comes into stock and is despatched to you. For example, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently increased, you will still be charged the original price. However, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently decreased, you will be charged the lower price.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged when the items are in-stock and ready to be despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my pre-order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 01843 233525 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can I pay by PayPal for a pre-order? Yes you can.
- How many items can I pre-order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- How do delivery charges apply to pre-orders? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock and will therefore incur delivery charges where applicable. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my pre-order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my pre-order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take pre-orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our pre-orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your pre-order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a £10 gift voucher to spend on the website.
- Can I make a pre-order by post or telephone? Yes you can, but payment must be with a credit/debit card. Please call our Customer Care team on 01843 233525 or email@example.com
- Can I use a Club or discount code on pre-orders? Yes you can.
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
Read more on the BBC website here as the Tornado powers 12 scheduled services on the Settle-Carlisle line, the first time that scheduled services have been pulled by steam in decades.
In 1990 a group of like-minded people came together in the belief that they could construct from new, a Peppercorn Class A1 Pacific locomotive. The first steam locomotive built in the United Kingdom since 'Evening Star' in 1960 and it would be built to meet modern safety and certification standards to enable it to run on mainline connected heritage railways. After a period of nearly 20 years the dream became a reality on the 29th July 2008 when locomotive No. 60163 'Tornado' moved under its own power at Darlington.
With a 4-6-2 wheel configuration, 'Tornado' is 72' 11 3/4" (22.24m) long, 9' 2 7/8" (2.82m) wide, 13' (3.96m) high, one inch lower than the original A1s in order to meet current Network Rail OLE requirements. The locomotive weights 105.2 long tons and the tender weights 60.9 long tons and is capable of a top speed of 100mph (160km/h) but is at present certificated to 75mph (121km/h). The boiler, based on the original Diagram 118, has a pressure of 250psi, is 6'5" (1.96m) in diameter by 29'2" (8.89m) in length which powers three 19" x 26" (480mm x 660mm) cylinders.
The frames of the original 49 Class A1 Pacifics (built between 1948 - 1949, withdrawn and scrapped by 1966) were cut from two pieces of steel then welded together, however modern manufacturing techniques enable the 48'5" long steel frame of 'Tornado' to be electronically cut from a single piece of steel, creating a very strong and stable frame. During construction some adjustments were also made to the tender, increasing the water capacity from 5,000 to 6,000 gallons and reducing the coal capacity from 9 to 7.5 tons.
In the relatively short period of time in which 'Tornado' has been in operation, the locomotive has built up a large fan base because wherever the locomotive goes huge crowds flock to see this marvel of determination and fortitude.
Since it entered traffic in 2008 'Tornado' has worn various liveries, starting with 'Workshop' grey. After mainline trials it was liveried in LNER Apple Green, applied in the traditional way by hand at the NRM paintshop. In 2010 it was re-liveried into BR Brunswick Green, with different BR logo changes during the following two years. After the 2012 winter overhaul, the livery was completely changed to BR's Express Blue, meaning that 'Tornado' will have carried the same four liveries as all the original A1 Pacific locomotives.
To find out more about the real 'Tornado' project please click here.
Our Hornby RailRoad collection provides a perfect entry into the exciting world of 00 gauge railway modelling. Designed to be less easily damaged, yet maintaining attractive detailing and accurate liveries, the range is ideal for both the younger enthusiast and experienced modeller. View the full range
WARNING Not suitable for children under 36 months. It contains small parts which can present a choking hazard, and some components have functional sharp points and edges. Handle with care. Please refer to the Safety Notes in the main set Instruction leaflet. Colour and contents may differ from those illustrated. Please retain these details and the address for future reference.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|DCC Type||DCC Ready|
|Class||Peppercorn Class A1|
|Designer||Arthur H. Peppercorn|
|Entered Service||1948 (Tornado in 2009)|
|Motor||3 Pole with Flywheel|
- NEM Couplings
Parts, Spares & Service Sheets
Below are the parts and spares for this product.
|PCB Socket and Pins||X9084|
|Smoke Deflectors - Tornado||X6344|
|Tornado Train Pack Accessory Bag (R3059)||X10793||Out of stock|
|Tornado Motor Retainer Flywheel||X6331||Out of stock|
|Tornado Cylinder Block (R3059)||X6332|
|Tornado Valve Gear Set (R3059)||X6333|
|Tornado Coupling Rods (R3059)||X6335|
|Tornado Locomotive Chassis Bottom (R3059)||X6336||Out of stock|
|Tornado Bogie Bracket (R3059)||X6338|
|Tornado Drawbar (R3059)||X6339|