Railroad BR Intercity '90135' Bo-Bo Class 90
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
Developed from the Class 87, the Class 90 locomotives were manufactured and assembled at Crewe Works by BREL from 1985 until their completion in 1990. Designed as a replacement for locomotives from the Class 81, through to the Class 85, the Class 90 entered service as a mixed traffic locomotive, working both freight and passenger trains.
The original fleet size consisted of 50 locomotives, numbered 90001 through to 90050, although the original number sequence for the Class took the form of 87/2, a system that was short lived. The first locomotive, 90001, left Crewe Works on October 12, 1987 and went straight to Derby for testing, but it was July 1988 before the first passenger service was hauled.
A Time-Division Multiplexer (TDM) was fitted, enabling two or more locomotives to work as multiple units, this allowed a Class 90 to haul a push-pull passenger train, working with a Driving Van Trailer (DVT).
The original allocation of locomotives saw 90001 to 90025 working passenger services on the West Coast Mainline, along with cross country services from Euston, Manchester/Liverpool and Glasgow, as well as Manchester and Liverpool to Birmingham. As such, the Class 90s were the first new locomotives to carry the InterCity 21st Anniversary ‘Swallow’ livery. The remainder were assigned to freight duties, although it was not unusual at the time to see freight engines working both passenger duties, or vice versa.
Maximum curve Hornby 2nd radius + / 438mm+
Our Hornby RailRoad collection provides a perfect entry into the exciting world of 00 gauge railway modelling. Designed to be less easily damaged, yet maintaining attractive detailing and accurate liveries, the range is ideal for both the younger enthusiast and experienced modeller. View the full range
WARNING Not suitable for children under 36 months It contains small parts which can present a choking hazard, some components have functional sharp points and edges. Handle with care. Please refer to the safety notes in the main set instruction leaflet, colour and contents may vary from those illustrated.Please retain these details and the address for future reference.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|DCC Type||DCC Ready|
|Motor||5 Pole Skew Wound|
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.