Postal Express Train Set
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
A fantastic Travelling Post Office Set with a working trackside post bag collection feature.
Before the development of the British motorway system millions of letters were shipped from town to town by railway. Many of these mail trains travelled at night and included a TPO (Travelling Post Office) coach in which bags of letters and small parcels were collected, sorted and then dropped off in bags at the relevant stations along the route.
This set not only includes a deceptively powerful GWR 0-4-0 locomotive but also a TPO and support Clerestory brake coach. The “net” projects from the coach to scoop the mailbag from the trackside pick-up hook.
The bag is then automatically ejected into the trackside receiving bin at the place of delivery. This set also includes a MidiMat, as well as an oval of track with siding which can be extended using the Track Packs available separately.
Interior of a travelling post office - image by James Petts
- - 0-4-0 Ex GWR Locomotive
- - Operating Mail Coach
- - Clerestory Coach
- - Track: 3rd Radius Starter Oval, Track Pack A (with point and buffer)
- - 1 amp Wall Plug Transformer
- - R8206 Power Track
- - Hornby MidiMat (1600 x 1180mm)
Exterior of a travelling post office showing the 'bag catcher' - image by Nilfanion
This item will be supplied with a UK transformer
Hornby is a household name and is famous as the UK's brand leader in the model railway hobby with its high quality 00 gauge (1:76) models and accessories.
Not suitable for children under the age of 14. Please refer to safety notes in enclosed instruction leaflet. Colours and contents may differ from those illustrated. Please retain these details and the address for future reference.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.