Celebrating 100 Years of Hornby Train Set, Centenary Year Limited Edition - 2020
c Available to Pre-order now Don't miss out! Pre-order today and be amongst the first to receive this item.Pre-order FAQ's
- What is a pre-order? It is possible to secure some items before they come into stock by pre-ordering on the website. This is especially useful when a product is anticipated to be popular, and could sell out in a short time once released.
- When will my pre-order arrive? The product listing gives an estimated arrival time for the product, please note that this date can change due to changes in manufacturing and shipping schedules. These dates are updated monthly, keep track of your pre-orders by logging into My Orders for the latest estimated arrival date. When stock arrives, pre-orders are despatched in the order that they were placed.
What happens if the price of my item changes while on pre-order? If the price of your pre-order item changes after you have placed your order, we will only ever charge you the lowest price between time of ordering and when the item comes into stock and is despatched to you. For example, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently increased, you will still be charged the original price. However, if you pre-order an item and the price is subsequently decreased, you will be charged the lower price.
- When will I be charged? Your card will only be charged when the items are in-stock and ready to be despatched.
- Are my card details safe? Yes – we use an external, secure payment system, Braintree (part of PayPal) to store and handle your card details.
- Can I cancel my pre-order? Yes – you can cancel a pre-order before it has been despatched. Log into My Orders, or contact our Customer Care team with your pre-order number on 01843 233525 or email@example.com
- Can I pay by PayPal for a pre-order? Yes you can.
- How many items can I pre-order? There is no limit to the number of pre-orders that you can place. However, for some products there may be a limit on the number of units that can be pre-ordered. This will be clearly marked on the product listing.
- How do delivery charges apply to pre-orders? Pre-order items will be despatched as soon as they come into stock and will therefore incur delivery charges where applicable. If you have different pre-order items in your basket, or a mixture of pre-order and in stock items these will each show a separate delivery charge.
- What happens if my registered card expires before my item comes into stock? If your card expires, we will send you an email asking you to log into your account and update your card details.
- What if I decide to pay with a different card after I place my pre-order? You can change the registered card for each pre-order by visiting My Orders.
- Will you definitely have the stock to fulfil my pre-order? Yes – unlike some websites, which take pre-orders without securing stock in advance, we guarantee that we have secured stock levels for our pre-orders. In the unlikely event that we cannot honour your pre-order (except when a product is completely withdrawn before release) we will give you a £10 gift voucher to spend on the website.
- Can I make a pre-order by post or telephone? Yes you can, but payment must be with a credit/debit card. Please call our Customer Care team on 01843 233525 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Can I use a Club or discount code on pre-orders? Yes you can.
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
Rovex Plastics Ltd was formed in 1946 by Alexandra Gregory Vanetzian who had quickly, after the end of the Second World War mastered the technique of moulding plastic into brightly coloured miniature cars that he supplied under contracts to Marks & Spencer.
Unfortunately, Vanetzian had to cease production of his cars as the name Rovex conflicted with the already registered Rover Car Company name and he consequently had to undertake not to manufacture any more cars, miniature or otherwise.
So impressed had Marks & Spencer been with the toy car Vanetzian had supplied that they asked him in 1948 to produce an inexpensive battery powered train set. Vanetzian accepted the challenge and in 1950, just in time for Christmas, the first train sets started to appear in the Marks & Spencer stores.
The first Rovex set consisted of an oval of track, a battery box controller, two coaches and a black Princess locomotive, ‘Princess Elizabeth’. However the task of completing the huge order for Marks & Spencer was not a smooth one and weighed down with financial issues Alexandra Vanetzian sold Rovex Plastics Ltd. to Lines Bros in October 1951 and in 1952 Tri-ang Railways was formed.
The current Hornby range of train sets can trace their lineage to the very first set produced by Rovex Plastics Ltd., which contained a black Princess Coronation Class locomotive, ‘Princess Elizabeth’. With the twin celebrations of not only the Hornby Trains 100th Anniversary but also the 70th anniversary of the first Rovex, later to become Tri-ang Railways, there can only be one locomotive suitable to be included in a set celebrating these two momentous anniversaries and that is the ‘Princess Elizabeth’.
This set features the 21st century equivalents of not only the locomotive but also the coaches that replicate as closely as possible the very first Rovex train set. As part of the Hornby Trains Centenary group of products, this set represents the coming together of the latest highly detailed models of 2020 with the pack artwork inspired by that of the very first set produced in 1950 by Rovex Plastics Ltd.
This special limited edition train set contains an authenticating certificate confirming that it is just one of a production quantity of 1000 sets.
What’s in the Box!?
BR Princess Royal Class 4-6-2,
46201 ‘Princess Elizabeth’
LMS Period III Corridor First, 7573
LMS Period III Corridor Third, 27424
Track & Accessories
3rd Radius Large Oval,
Train Controller (R7229),
Wall Plug Transformer (P9000W),
Power Connecting Track (R8206),
Hornby is a household name and is famous as the UK's brand leader in the model railway hobby with its high quality 00 gauge (1:76) models and accessories.
Technical Specification & Detail
|DCC Type||DCC Ready|
|Period||Era 4 (1948 - 1956)|
|Operator/Livery||British Railways, Black|
|Limited Edition Size||1000|
|Designer||Sir William Stanier|
|Motor||5 Pole Skew Wound|