LNER 4-4-0 '8802', D16/3 Class
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
A popular and successful design of 4-4-0 tender engine, the first of the Great Eastern Railway class S46 locomotives, No.1900 Claud Hamilton, left Stratford Works in March 1900 and was, at that point, the largest express locomotive on the GER. The design of the class is often credited to James Holden, Superintendent of the GER at the time, but he was out of the country during this period and it was actually Stratford Works’ Chief Draughtsman, Frederick V. Russell, who was responsible for most of the design work.
An order for an additional forty locomotives followed, built between 1900 and 1903, which were classified by the GER as S46 (later to be re-classified as Class D14 by the London North Eastern Railway). Very quickly the class became known as ‘Clauds’ and further batches were produced between 1904 and 1911, these were fitted with Belpaire boilers and classified as D56 (which were later to become Class D15). The final batch of ten engines, this time classified by the GER as H88, were built just after Grouping and fitted with 5’ 1” diameter superheated Belpaire boilers, leading to them being aptly named ‘Super Clauds’ and classified as Class D16 by the LNER.
Hornby is a household name and is famous as the UK's brand leader in the model railway hobby with its high quality 00 gauge (1:76) models and accessories.
Detailed scale model. Not suitable for children under 14 years.Please refer to the safety notes in the enclosed instruction leaflet. Colours and contents may differ from those illustrated. Please retain these details and the address for future reference.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|DCC Type||DCC Ready|
|Motor||5 Pole Skew Wound. Loco Drive|
- NEM Couplings
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.