LNER 0-6-2T '4765' N2 Class
Item code: R3465
After the First World War, in 1919, Nigel Gresley considered a number of possible designs for a new suburban tank engine, including an improved 0-6-2T, a 2-6-2T and a 2-6-4T. His improved 0-6-2T was accepted by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) for development and was introduced in 1920.Based on the Class N1, the new Class N2 design featured larger diameter cylinders, Stephenson (Piston valve) Gear, a superheated boiler and a greater water capacity.
The piston valves were positioned above the cylinders, requiring a high-pitched boiler. This, combined with a short chimney to keep the locomotive within the Metropolitan loading gauge, gave the N2 class a powerful appearance.
Sixty GNR Class N2 locomotives were built between 1920 and 1921 and these were followed by forty seven LNER Group Standard Class N2s between 1925 and 1929. Although initially built for passenger duties out of Kings Cross and Moorgate, often with the distinctive Quad-Art coach sets, subsequent locomotives were built for similar suburban services around Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee.
There were four main variants of the Class N2. The N2/1, was built for GNR between 1920 and 1921 at the Doncaster Works (numbered 4606-15) and at the North British Locomotive Co. (numbered 4721-70). The N2/2 batch were built in 1925 by Beyer, Peacock & Co. and were numbered 2583-94, whilst the N2/3 batch was built at the Doncaster Works in 1925 and were numbered 892-7. The N2/4 locomotives were built in two batches in 1928 and 1929, the first batch by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. (numbered 2662-81) and the second by the Yorkshire Engine Co. (numbered 2682-90). Five of these engines, 2685-90, are generally catagorised as N2/3, although they were nearer in build type to the N2/4 locomotives, differing in having been built without condensing apparatus.
Locomotive 4765 was built at the North British Locomotive Company in Glasgow in 1921, one of fifty engines built to order L734. Entering service as GNR No.1765 in April 1921, the locomotive was fitted with vacuum brakes and condensing apparatus from new. Re-numbered to LNER No.4765 in April 1924, the locomotive was withdrawn from service in December 1958.