R8216 Wiring

Guest Chrissaf

I believe that this operates similar to the later model R8247 in which case connect both points to the same port and give them the same number.

The only real difference twixt the 8216 and 8247 is you need to pre-charge the earlier unit for programming and the sequence is slightly different but in service it is essentially the same apart from it is pulse only - you can't set it for continuous output to run lights, etc.

Yes in practice it will fire two points on one port but this is not officially acknowledged by Hornby.

Rob

Hi, Can anyone help me please.

I Have 8 points i want to wire up to a Hornby R8216, Is there anyway I can put two points to one port on the R8216, without buying a second R8216.

Thank You

Peter Beckett

You say 8 points and you say one single R8216. This infers that all four ports on the R8216 would have two points each.

I know I am now stating the obvious below, but just on the off-chance that you are thinking differently.

If you do connect the 8 points in that way, you can only operate the 8 points in pairs, this infers that your layout design has four pairs of points configured in 'cross-overs' with no sidings. When you connect a pair of points to the same R8216 port you have NO individual control of each point of the pair. If you haven't got four cross-overs and want control of individual points, then you will need a second Accessory Decoder. Note that the R8216 is obsolete and replaced by the R8247.

Chris, just by the way I’m now very annoyed with you, but let me explain. I just used Dictionary.com to check for my own benefit whether an 8216 should be described as obsolete, as you have done, or obsolescent, as my memory back to Army days had these meaning different things (obsolete, no longer useable, obsolescent, no longer supplied but useable if you still have one).  So what do I discover?  The rotten dictionary thinks obsolete is a verb as well as an adjective!  Now I’ll never be able to rely on it again, so I’m annoyed Chris. 

Archived