M Menu
b 0 Items s

Order by 11:59pm (GMT) on Thursday 17th December for UK Christmas Delivery, or by 14th December for ROW

SModel Railway Timetables

LC&DR

10177 posts

Unless you are modelling a specific location working timetables are of negligible use. Very few railway modellers are  privelleged enough to have the space or the funds to build a realistic and accurate representation of an actual location particularly one where there is sufficient operational interest. It may be possible in a wealthy model railway club, or if you are a record producer, but the average Joe modeller will have an 8 x 4 board with an oval of track. and three or four locomotives to run on it.

As was said earlier watching a model railway run to a real timetable at an exhibition is tedious and boring, with gaps of many minutes often tens of minutes between a movement. To try and replicate that on your model railway at home will be the same. 

If you want to see what I mean have a look at the Rail Cam website, especially those locations where there are only two tracks passing the camera and sit and wait for the next two trains to pass. You will very quickly turn to another location. Even in the London Suburban area the interval between consecutive trains might be five minutes or more which lets face it on a model railway gives you time to put the kettle on and make a cup of tea! There is a concept of 'headway' which is the practical distance that trains can follow each other imposed by the length of the block section or the distance between two automatic colour light signals.  When I used to help write the ECML timetable we always aimed to keep trains running on green signals, which is three or four miles apart minimum, so on this incredibly busy railway there would be a minimum interval between trains of three minutes, and when you add in station dwell time and the differential between express trains, stopping passenger and freight trains the three minutes quickly becomes ten. Many less important lines there will be fifteen or twenty minutes between passenger trains, often considerably more.

Rather than spend a fortune on inappropriate working documents use your imagination and draw up your own timetable, and create a back story to explain why your trains do what they do. 

I did once visit a model railway in Kent where this couple built a model railway in their orchard. It was coarse scale gauge O and represented a short section of the Midland Main Line (LMS) on the approach to St. Pancras in the 1930s. where there were six parallel running lines (Up& Down Main, Up & Down Slow and up & down Goods) .  The operating section was in a large shed but through the orchard were covered tracks raised on legs in the form of huge loops. These were split into sections and in each section was a train. 

The couple ran it to a genuine :LMS working timetable and kept a train register so that when they went for tea they knew where to pick up the story again. They both had block instruments on which they signalled trains and all the signals worked. There was an  extra 'signal box' so that guests who knew how to could join in, but was switched out at other times. One of the signalmen who worked at my station told me that he actually learned signalling principles initially on that layout!

Even though they used a speeded up clock there were quite often gaps in operation when nothing moved.

I was informed that trains could remain hidden in the orchard loops for weeks! One of their major hazards was mice  who made nests on the track.

Green trains are best!

Keithp

253 posts

@LC&DR

Rather than spend a fortune on inappropriate working documents use your imagination and draw up your own timetable, and create a back story to explain why your trains do what they do. 

Thanks for that. I would not buy working timetables as I agree at home it is pointless, my layout is small 6X4 so my 'timetable' reflects that. However just for fun I did search working timetables and found a web site where they have some for free. (http://wttreprints.uk/index.html).

Really I was just interested to see what other people do.

Buz

1541 posts

Hi all

Even that blue engine works to a time table of sorts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2rRh1Xz8rA

regards John

LC&DR

10177 posts

And "The Railway Children" theme playing in the background. 

Good to see Annie and Clarabel have got all their wheels at last, no longer those nasty little four wheelers!

Green trains are best!

LC&DR

10177 posts

Just in case anyone may be interested, this is the train plan for the Hundred of Hoo Branch (Gravesend to Allhallows on Sea and Port Vioctoria) Weekdays for half year beginning June 1950.

Information included is the departure , the previous working, the carriages required, the class of locomotive required, the depot which supplies the locomotive and the locomotive and crew working number.

Departures from Gravesend Central

5:15 am to Allhallows, off 4:41 am from Gillingham, P&P set, R1 73D 228

6:38 am to Port Victoria, from sidings, P&P set, R1 73D 228

8:56 am to Allhallows, off 8:3 am from Allhallows, P&P set, C 73D 237

10:31 am to Allhallows, off 7:14 am from Allhallows, P&P set, R1 73D 228

12:58 am to Allhallows, off 9:52 am from Allhallows, P&P set, R1 73D 228

2:33 pm to Allhallows, off 1:38 pm from Allhallows, P&P set, H 73D 226, light engine from Gillingham at 1:45 pm, attach.

4:12 pm to Port Victoria, off 3:22 pm from Allhallows, P&P set, H 73D 226,

5:39 pm to Allhallows , off 11:18 from Allhallows, P&P set, C 73D 237

6:8 pm to Allhallows, off 5:5 pm from Port Victoria , P&P set , R1 73D 228

7:45 pm to Allhallows, off 6:50 pm from Allhallows, P&P set, H 73D 226,

8:46 pm to Allhallows, off 5:53 am from Allhallows, P&P set, set stabled during day, R1 73D 228

11:0 pm to Gillingham, off 9:39 pm from Allhallows, P&P set, R1 73D 228

Stock to sidings off 8: 52 pm from Allhallows, P&P set, H 73D 226,arr 9:26 pm light to Gillingham 9:42 pm

Departures from Allhallows

5:53 am to Gravesend Central, off 5:15 am from Gravesend Central, P&P set, R1 73D 228

7:14 am to Gravesend Central from sidings, P&P set, C 73D 237, off 4:40 am freight Hoo Junction to Allhallows after working 2:55 am Chatham to Hoo freight

8:3 am to Gravesend Central, off 7:40 am from Port Victoria, empties (arrive 7:57am) , P&P set, R1 73D 228

9:52 am to Gravesend Central, off 8:56 am from Gravesend Central, P&P set, C 73D 237

11:18 am to Gravesend Central, off 10:31 am from Gravesend Central, P&P set, R1 73D 228

1:38 pm to Gravesend Central, off 12:58 pm from Gravesend Central, P&P set, R1 73D 228

3:22 pm to Gravesend Central, off 2:33 pm from Gravesend Central, P&P set, H 73D 226,

6:50 pm to Gravesend Central, off 6:8 pm from Gravesend Central, P&P set, R1 73D 228

8:53 pm to Gravesend Central, off 7:45 pm from Gravesend Central (arrives 6:16) H 73D 226,

7:20 pm to Deptford, off 11:0 am from Deptford

(runs Tu, W, Th O 25th July to 31 Aug) formed of 6 non-corridor set 695, E1 73B 99 empties from Rotherhithe Road to Deptford. Loco runs light Allhallows to Gillingham and return for crew and servicing. Stock empty to Maze Hill, and loco light to B’Arms.

9:39 pm to Gravesend Central, off 8:46 pm from Gravesend Central, P&P set, R1 73D 228

To sidings, off 5:39 pm from Gravesend Central, P&P set, C 73D 237

Port Victoria

7:40 am to Allhallows off 6:38 from Gravesend Central, P&P set

5:5 pm to Gravesend Central off 4:12 from Gravesend Central, P&P set

Freight

7:55 am Hoo to Port Victoria freight  C 73D 234

10:5 am Port Victoria to Hoo Junction, C 73D 234

12:50 Hoo to Port Victoria freight  C 73D 234

3:30 pm Port Victoria to Hoo Junction, C 73D 234

2:55 am freight Chatham Sidings to Hoo, C 73D 237

4:40 am freight Hoo to Allhallows,  C 73D 237

6:35 pm freight Allhallows to Hoo, ,  C 73D 237

Classes of locomotives are - R1 SECR 0-4-4T, H SECR 0-4-4T, C SECR 0-6-0, E1 SECR 4-4-0, Carriages - P&P set - 2 coaches of former LB&SCR / SECR / LSWR non-corridor stock converted for push-pull operation. Set 695 consists of former SECR non-corridor carriages kept for excursion traffic.

Depots 73B  Bricklayers Arms, 73D - Gillingham

Green trains are best!

Buz

1541 posts

Hi LC&DR

Looking at the general state of the layout and the warped gaurds van roof and less than modern detail.

I am wondering if this is the genuine Awdrey (spelling) Ffarquhar Rd layout

It certainly looks like it might be even if it isn't.

regards John

Keithp

253 posts

Thanks for that. Very interesting and useful. 

Keith

LC&DR

10177 posts

Hi Buz,

I don't think it is the Reverend's layout, which I saw at Westminster Hall back in the 60s,  the carriages look too crude, and there were some more recent wagons in the goods train. But it is certainly a DIY set up on Peco track, Toby could be a K's kit J70.

Green trains are best!

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Hornby Forum is intended for discussion of all things model railways. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Hornby Forum offers a user community for all those interested in railways.
  • Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Hornby Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses). 
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Hornby Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product