M Menu
b 0 Items s

Order by 11:59pm (GMT) on Thursday 17th December for UK Christmas Delivery, or by 14th December for ROW

SModel Railway Timetables

Keithp

254 posts

Hi All,

Well my layout is nearing completion now - just waiting for a few more items and a new loco from Hornby. That got me thinking - once the layout is 90% finished - never be 100% as I will add and move things - anyhow got me thinking once complete how do you run the trains? Yes I could watch them go round, do some shunting, etc, but that is not really a simulation of a railway. So after reading  a few articles I realised what I needed was some form of 'timetable'. Anyhow that got me thinking I wonder if anyone else has something similar? Could be an interesting thread?

My layout is a fictional village in Yorkshire, it has a single station to serve the local village, including the local Post Office it also has a line to a goods yard/ timber yard (the local industry) and a farm nearby which produces milk for transport. A small coal yard also collects coal for local use. So based on that I have produced a timetable that has 12 trains running, they cover passengers, an excursion train, a post train, goods and coal.

I tried it today and it took about an hour and half to check, work out where trains needed to be and also to run. I found it very interesting.

Anyone else do anything similar?

Keith

bulleidboy

3632 posts

Hi Keith

I have not done it yet - but it is in the "plan" to operate a timetable. My layout "Wykeham" is a country town terminus, with a loco shed and turntable. The layout is end-to-end, and the main lines enter a tunnel under a hill and exit straight into a six-line fiddle yard - all lines terminate at another turntable. There is also a branch line wich run from the teminus to the other end of the board. The whole layout is "U" shaped and run around three sides of a 10x7 room. "Wykeham" is somewhere in the Hampshire/Dorset region. Also the main lines have had the 3rd rail fitted which allows for further variety in stock choice.

The service is mainly passenger, so my timetable, when up an running will have trains running from Wykeham via Bournemouth and on to London or the Midlands - for Birmingham you turn left at Basingstoke!

It was not unusual for trains in the south to split with some coaches remaining at Bournemouth while the rest of the train went further West - so for example a three coach train can leave Wykeham with a Merchant Navy up front heading for Bournemouth, where it would pick-up more coaching stock for the onward journey to London. This gives me the scope to run a number of different loco's and stock. Also Bournemouth does not have a turntable, so occasionally a loco will arrive at Wykeham without stock for turning, before heading back.

The advantage of the turntable at the end of the fiddle yard and using Kadee couplings with magnets under the track, is that the loco un-coulples (it does work), the loco is turned on the table and runs down a line kept free of stock - it can then be coupled on to the end of the stock it arrived with or other stock on another track.

I think having a timetable gives you time to think. BB

Tomorrow will be a good day - Capt. Tom Moore

Buz

1541 posts

Hi Keihtp

An operations system can add a lot interest to a model railway.

Most of the famous in the model railway world had them, ranging from a simple sequence time table to some quite complex systems with fast clocks and paperwork.

Quite a lot has been in the model press over the years about the merits of various systems and how they work.

Including dealing with hazardous goods and how to marshal them into a train and dealing with perishables like milk and temperamental freight like livestock.

For me how ever after spending my working life dodging trains and dealing with train controllers who want it now, and you have twenty minutes to get the job done before the next train.

I use the no pressure simple sequence time table idea some times.

But my line didn't get set up properly for it to really work the way it should, something that will have to be sorted one day if it ever does.

It means rehashing the fiddle yard which is under the village and not easy to get at.

regards John

Vespa

3065 posts

Not wishing to throw water on the fire of enthusiasm, I once went to a model railway exhibition in Rainhill. There was a layout run on timetables. Nothing wrong with that but there was nothing running for spells of 15-20 minutes. As a young 1960's trainspotter on the WCML in summers, when it never rained (ha ha) it was sometimes possible to see trains queueing at signal sets due to the amount of excursions and regular trains taking priority over them. A never ending stream of trains. I had the great pleasure of working (unofficially) in the signal box at Padgate Junction and even there we had quite a bit extra traffic from Liverpool,  Manchester and the Eastern region using the loop passing the back of Dallam sheds. (Even though it was the straight through as the crow flies route, with the Central Station route now the main line) It was all great fun at the time but we were told not to accept trains into our section if we had to use the distant signal 3/4 mile away as that was too heavy to operate. The signal man, looking back, was a bit idle spending hours on the phone and just giving instructions to us. I bet he would have been sacked on the spot if the powers that be found out, allowing two 14/15 year olds operate the box.   My next time in a box was at Bank Quay new power box on a great look around given to me by the station manager. What a difference from semaphore signals and the distance covered and the times between trains.

Toys for big boys. A fully fledged member of the Hornby signed out before you are finished club

Keithp

254 posts

Sounds very interesting, I guess timetables for exhibitions are complicated due to the time they are there. For me, I usually only have a couple of hours, so would have trains running all the time. Nice to hear some other views though, I like the idea of hazardous goods!

Keith

Buz

1541 posts

Hi vespa

Just hope they don't run the original sunday service at a show because its in keeping with the layout no trains.

not having trains for 15 to 20 minutes at a show should not happen.

but often it does.

regards John

Buz

1541 posts

Hi keihtp

The obvious one is fuel mainly because of the tank wagons with Shell or BP on them it did not always run in block trains like it does today.

I can't find my rule book off hand but you where required to have two 4 wheel or one bogie barrier wagons in front of it and behind it

These could be empty's or non flamable cargo that does not react with them and defiantly not ammonia nitrate based fertilizer  the same behind the fuel tankers.

There was also a set distance it had to be from the locomotive and guards van.so your short two tank train  just became five or six not including the guards van it all adds to the fun.

I hope you marshaling your fitted wagons directly behind the locomotive to form the fitted head of the train.

Fitted wagons are the ones with continuous brakes not all four wheeled wagons had them some where just piped.

Explosives is another one can't remember who makes the vans Dapol and Bachmann I think, not sure Hornby has made those.

The rules for those are very strict.

This is where the addition of cards to the system comes in the card has from to wagon type wagon number loaded empty special instructions it works better if your wagons do have different numbers.

regards John

Keithp

254 posts

@Buz

Hi keihtp

The obvious one is fuel mainly because of the tank wagons with Shell or BP on them it did not always run in block trains like it does today.

I can't find my rule book off hand but you where required to have two 4 wheel or one bogie barrier wagons in front of it and behind it

These could be empty's or non flamable cargo that does not react with them and defiantly not ammonia nitrate based fertilizer  the same behind the fuel tankers.

There was also a set distance it had to be from the locomotive and guards van.so your short two tank train  just became five or six not including the guards van it all adds to the fun.

I hope you marshaling your fitted wagons directly behind the locomotive to form the fitted head of the train.

Fitted wagons are the ones with continuous brakes not all four wheeled wagons had them some where just piped.

Explosives is another one can't remember who makes the vans Dapol and Bachmann I think, not sure Hornby has made those.

The rules for those are very strict.

This is where the addition of cards to the system comes in the card has from to wagon type wagon number loaded empty special instructions it works better if your wagons do have different numbers.

regards John

I will have to have a word with the Marshaller! Most of my wagons are simple plank, so any hazardous material is likely to be the local beer - as I am adding a small brewery building. Mind you at the moment I am struggling to find a suitable model. Perhaps Theakstons or Black Sheep!

Keith

Buz

1541 posts

Hi keihtp

Don't forget fuel also came in 44 gallon?? drums which would have been loaded into open wagons.

Try and find on line  Australian-card-kits.com if you can find them look for the Dongara flour mill kit.

I don't know if the Web site still exists I have not been able to re-find it.

The mill might make a start on a home built small brewery if it's still around to be found.

Along with a tall water tower with the brewers name on it it might make a start on a brewery complex

Or if it works for you could be boring and use it as the start for a more detailed flour mill.

but the trick is going to be finding it.

regards John

Vespa

3065 posts

What about the Metcalfe kits. I have the main factory etc to build yet and was going to make my own small Huntley and Palmers factory. I do not have room to model the real thing as it would take up all my land and house as it was massive.

Toys for big boys. A fully fledged member of the Hornby signed out before you are finished club

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Hornby Forum is intended for discussion of all things model railways. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Hornby Forum offers a user community for all those interested in railways.
  • Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Hornby Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses). 
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Hornby Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product