M Menu
b 0 Items s

SLack of Tube Train models.

A few days ago, a "London Underground S Stock 4 car train pack" sold on ebay for a pricely 760 quid.

SEVEN HUNDRED AND SIXTY OF YOUR ENGLISH POUNDS!

There is definitely people who will buy Tube Trains.

Heck I thought it looked good when I first saw it but I wasn't going to drop the £400 it was going for at that time. I did think how nice it would look running around a half-pipe style set of tunneling and eyed up that gorgeous cardboard model of Rayner's Lane you can get...

There's a market for Tube Trains.

But, no: I'm not going to buy Underground Ernie no matter what you pay me.

LC&DR

10109 posts

London Underground gets an airing on this forum from time to time but Hornby still don;t seem keen on making one.

A local cheap shop (you know the sort, narrow aisles piled high with discounted and bankrupt stock)  was selling Underground Ernie rolling stock a few years ago, so I succumbed and bought one of each, more out of curiosity than anything else, all at a fraction of original prices.

I tend to buy up Underground stuff whenever I see it, I already have a 7 car ERTL 1938 tube train, unmotorised, three Heljan Metropolitan Bo-Bos, two Bachmann 57xx in LT Maroon, a handful of wagons in LT livery and one of those Ever-Ready three rail tube trainsets, sadly with a seized motor. I also have a single coach of a diecast tube train painted in red. white and blue livery which was sold as a souvenir in London.

I certainly would buy and run London Underground stuff if it was available although my preference is for the stuff before 1968, but I fear there is little enthusiasm for it.

Green trains are best!

Well, we have a tube train incoming but not from Hornby..m

Going Spare

775 posts

Check out www.metromodels.net.

LC&DR

10109 posts

I have pre-ordered the EFE train from my local model shop. I already have a seven car, unmotorised one, but I really want one that runs.

The S stock is too late for my period of interest, but what I would really love is a O / P / Q / R stock train, the flared side Art Deco design I find most interesting. These were the trains that took me around London on my train spotting trips in the 1960s. 

Green trains are best!

Buz

1496 posts

Hi LC&DR

I don't care if it sounds silly I want the red one Laughing

Those are the ones I remember from my child hood.

regards John

LC&DR

10109 posts

Red for me too!

Green trains are best!

LC&DR

10109 posts

The O / P / Q / R coach design lends itself quite nicely to a model, because yoiu only realy need one bodyshell. The driving cars need drivers windows and headlight panel  at one end  and a different drivers door but otherwise they are identical. The undeframes and interiors will be different though. A good project for "Design Clever" methinks. 

Liverywise there was the pre-war red with cream window surrounds, wartime red, post-war red with gold ownership markings, and the final red with white markings.Then there were the silver finishes applied to the R stock, with and without a red waist line and nose end 'go-faster' Vee.

Classic design in my opinion instantly recognisable to all Londoners..

Green trains are best!

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Hornby Forum is intended for discussion of all things model railways. Primarily a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Hornby Forum offers a user community for all those interested in railways.
  • Discussion of non-Hornby brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of these brands is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Hornby Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses). 
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Hornby Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

This site uses cookies to provide users with the best experience possible, to find out more about them or how to remove cookies from your browser please view our Privacy Policy Or accept cookies to continue to use the website.
Membership Restricted Product