DCC Wiring

Johno1983

Evening All,

Laying the track down for the first qtr of the layout and wanted to back sure that you think where I am putting my drop cables to my main bus are enough. I will be using fishplates with drop cables soldered to them. Any question please ask. Fishplate locations are marked with red line.

/media/tinymce_upload/eb05cc33a298d3579b643287708d4c37.png

Hi welcome 

To me you are cutting corners. For total reliability, forget the wired fishplates and solder a pair of  droppers to each rail section on your layout. This way you don't rely on the contact between the fishplates and the rails, they do move and loosen. In my case every rail section has a pair soldered to the mid point of the rails underneath. There's a thread about wired droppers two threads down the page

If you are using Hornby insulpoints, then solder wires underneath these too as the DCC clips are troublesome. I got rid of all my insulpoints and went live frog instead.

The prime thought with DCC  is it needs good conductivity the slightest volts drop or momentary break spells trouble.

If you are using Hornby insulpoints, then solder wires underneath these too as the DCC clips are troublesome.

Just to add a bit of clarity. If a DCC Bus system is implemented, even at the basic level indicated by the red lines and the text of the post. Then the Hornby points do not need DCC point clips fitted. The droppers fitted to the sidings on the other side of the point perform the same function.

Note to Johno, you have got the basic principle correct. Droppers need to go on each side of all points. I do agree with MM though, the droppers are best soldered direct to rail and not to joiners. If it is just the thought of soldering wires that is daunting you then don't be. Soldering wires to modern Nickle Silver rail is so easy, it almost does it itself as the Nickle Silver sucks up solder so easily.

Read my 'How to Solder' tutorial

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/how-to-solder-for-model-railways/?p=1/