BR 0-6-0T '68959' J50 Class - Early BR
FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
The Gresley designed J50 Class eventually comprised 102 locomotives, with design variations such as brakes, driving positions, boilers and bunker sizes resulting in four class parts. Serving across the LNER from Eastfield in Scotland, to Cambridge, where there was hard work to be done, a J50 was invariably on hand to do it.
Built new in 1922 and 1924, twenty locomotives of the LNER J50 Class utilised a stock of second hand standard 4' 5" boilers, becoming J50/2 and by 1926 had become the company's Group Standard type. Fifty two more locomotives were built, thirty eight at Doncaster Works as J50/3 and fourteen at Gorton, as J50/4, between 1926 and 1939.
The thirty GNR J23 locomotives from 1914-1919 were eventually re-classified by the LNER as J50/ 1s.
In 1946, the class received their LNER re-numbering from 8890 to 8991, all surviving to Nationalisation to receive their British Rail numbering in the 60000 range. Withdrawals started in September 1958 and was completed by 1963, with six being transferred to Departmental use afterwards. These locomotives survived until around May 1965, No. 68961 Departmental No.14 being the last to go in September 1965.
Hornby is a household name and is famous as the UK's brand leader in the model railway hobby with its high quality 00 gauge (1:76) models and accessories.
Detailed scale model. Not suitable for children under 14 years.Please refer to the safety notes in the enclosed instruction leaflet. Colours and contents may differ from those illustrated. Please retain these details and the address for future reference.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
|DCC Type||DCC Ready|
|Designer||Sir Nigel Gresley|
- NEM Couplings
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.