FREE UK Delivery when you spend over £30.
Please allow up to 3 working days for UK delivery following the day you placed your order.
* Club membership packages do not count towards free delivery thresholds
Europe - 3-5 days
Rest of World - 5-10 days
We also offer FREE delivery to selected international destinations
In 1870, the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (LB&SCR) was struggling to cope with its increasing share of the London suburban traffic, with a plethora of different locomotives designed by Craven. Refusing to compromise on standardisation, Craven resigned on January 31, 1870 to be replaced by William Stroudley.
Much of the line south of London was of poor quality and subject to challenging gradients and a locomotive with a lighter axle loading and shorter wheelbase than the existing fleet was urgently required. Stroudley’s answer was the light six-coupled tank design and so his iconic Terrier class of 0-6-0T was born.
Built in December 1875, No.53 Ashtead was allocated to New Cross and was still there at the beginning of the 20th century. It escaped the LB&SCR’s withdrawal program in 1905-6 by being equipped for Pull-Push work in 1908 and was still rostered on the Crystal Palace motor-train service in December 1916, having been reboilered to A1X class in May 1912. In April 1937, now numbered 2653 and working the wharfs at Littlehampton, Ashtead was sold to Colonel Stevens for use on the Weston Clevedon & Portishead Light Railway as Engine No.4 and just three years later, on May 18, 1940, hauled the last train to run on that railway.
Maximum curve Hornby 1st radius + / 371mm+
Hornby is a household name and is famous as the UK's brand leader in the model railway hobby with its high quality 00 gauge (1:76) models and accessories.
Detailed scale model. Not suitable for children under 14 years.Please refer to the safety notes in the enclosed instruction leaflet. Colours and contents may differ from those illustrated. Please retain these details and the address for future reference.
Colour and contents of products may vary from those illustrated
Technical Specification & Detail
Product Questions & Answers Sign in or register to ask a question
Do you have a question about this product that other customers may be able to answer? Simply log in to the website and ask - other customers can then offer their help and answers.
Questions submitted should be aimed at other collectors, especially those that have previously purchased the model. The Q&A feature is not designed for contacting Customer Care or addressing Hornby Hobbies directly. If you do have a question for us, please do still contact us but use the Contact Us page instead.
Submissions that violate these rules (and the Guidelines) will be declined.
Please read the questions & answers guidelines before asking or answering a question.
- Once submitted, questions and answers should appear on the website within 72 hours, however, we will endeavour to approve both questions and answers as soon as possible.
- Please keep questions relevant and related to the product you’re asking it on. General questions can be asked on our Forum or sent straight to Customer Services
- Remember to keep questions and answers short and concise. Longer questions and answers are less likely to be read.
- Be sure to vote on answers you find either helpful or unhelpful. These votes are vital to getting the most helpful answers to other collectors.
- Please refrain from asking questions involving other manufacturers. For example, asking if something is better or worse than a competitor’s product is not permitted.
- Do not include personal information (email addresses or telephone numbers) in any question or answer.
- Any questions or answers that contain profanities, distasteful language or promotional material will not be approved. This also applies to Nicknames.