DCC Elite

Homer

can anyone assist me, I have just resurrected my layout and have a elite unit that is a few years old but has hardly had any usage. I have reset the unit to factory settings but it does  not seem to be able to set my DCC chips in trains already chipped.

how can you or do I need to also set the chip back to factory.

Homer, from memory, which is not always good, when you rest elite, you also have to rest it back to the right mode, of which there are 2.  Classic is the one i think you need. If its in right mode, , try initially setting up a programming short 12 inch track, and using correct wires from elite try to read loco decoder. Finally, there have been some firmware updates, your elite might be 3.1, 4.1, or 4.2. Tell us what it is. If 4.1, leave well alone, as 4.2 update has not gone well for some, and the difference is so minimal as to make no difference. Others will not agree. My son happily runs a 3.1. Todays world seems to be centrered round updating everything, wifes could be next. john

If you reset an Elite to factory condition, it will revert to 'Classic' mode. In theory this should only affect the operation of points using the R8247. But to ensure compatibility with your previously programmed decoders, I would change it back to 'Standard' mode. John was half right, he just got the two modes mixed up and round the wrong way. Changing the Elite operating mode is described in the 1.41 Elite manual on page 67

PS - The mode currently configured appears briefly in the Elite LCD screen during the power up sequence.

If you don't want to update to v1.42 using the download from this site, then if you look on the downloads area of the site linked to in my signature you can pick which version of Elite firmware to download and install - if you want to bother that is (everything from v1.0 to the latest v1.42).

I say if you want to bother, because there were serious problems installing the updates on some versions of Windows which as John says could 'brick' your Elite, i.e. rendering it useless until you could get a succesful install. Hornby has since fixed the way installs are done now but the modified installer is only there for the latest update v1.42.

If you want to try an update let us know which version of Windows you have and we will make a pretty good guess on your chance of sucess or failure based on lots of experience by people on this forum.

Aren't we being a little negative here?  Since the latest firmware installer became available with its 3 speed option to be used depending on the age/speed of your PC/laptop, haven't we had a marked improvement in the success rate of updating all the way to 1.42.  I can't remember anyone reporting failure in fact, but maybe I have the rose coloured glasses on again?

Probably right Fishy.

I was knee jerk reacting to the fact the OP had been advised not to bother with v1.42, hence asked about which OS and offerred alternative versions to download.

In fact the best option regardless of OS is to use v1.42 with the new update installer from this web site download area.

I dont think its anything to do with being negative. We know of people whose elites have bricked. These controllers work perfectly on 1.41, as RDs and i have proved, and my sons works perfectly on 3.1. I dont consider  it is the job of this forum to advise/ recommend any course of action that MAY incur the poster with a controller that no longer works. Restoring it to factory settings, thats standard advice. Its the same with a windows update, which have also had problems.  I consider it is part of our responsibility on here to new posters to advise, where we know there have been problems.  If the poster chooses to ignore   what is offered thats fine, but i for one, would not like to think i had offered any advise that had damaged/ bricked somebodys expensive controller, making them a problem that was not necessary in the first place. john

Fishy, i dont know its a thing of the past as i have not tried it, and wont risk breaking my elite. Therefore i cant recommend it, or advise it.. If we tell some childs dad , go ahead its fine, and he wrecks his sons Elite, then what. I accept that for some posters it has worked, for some, it did not.   Neither you, Raf, or i can guarantee that it will not brick the Elite. If Hornby, are happy to  recommend this, and sort out those that fail , at their expense , fine. It is not like a normal download, as you cant just do it again, once its gone wrong. Its an expensive bit of kit. Thats my point. john

John, you can do it again, always.  If a firmware installation fails corrupting the firmware and rendering the Elite inoperable, it can be fixed by simply installing again successfully.  And the latest installer seems to have proved quite reliable in achieving this.  Even if you first try to use it at too high a speed and brick your Elite, you just slow it down and do it again and it will work.

Have I done it myself and had it work?  No, all my stuff is packed up so I've yet to get to it (explains why I've yet to get to sending the Select to you), I'm just reflecting the experiences of the many on here who have reported success when the new installer was first released.  Did you miss those topics?

In fact, take a look at Ralphy's topic How to Update Elite to V 1.42 Using Windows 10 on the second page of this forum towards the bottom.  It will be little different on earlier Windows versions.  In fact we know it was only ever problematic on 8.x and 10, earlier versions were fine in general.

John, you can do it again, always.  If a firmware installation fails corrupting the firmware and rendering the Elite inoperable, it can be fixed by simply installing again successfully.  And the latest installer seems to have proved quite reliable in achieving this.  Even if you first try to use it at too high a speed and brick your Elite, you just slow it down and do it again and it will work.

Have I done it myself and had it work?  No, all my stuff is packed up so I've yet to get to it (explains why I've yet to get to sending the Select to you), I'm just reflecting the experiences of the many on here who have reported success when the new installer was first released.  Did you miss those topics?

Agreed Fishy

without saying too much about why, I have done literaly hundreds of Elite updates for all revisions and on various platforms since I got my first Elite in 2007 and yes the early installers with bootloader were terrible, the previous autoinstaller was good on the right platform, and guaranteed to brick your Elite on the wrong platform, but the latest variable speed installer is totally reliable. I have tried it at all speeds on every platform I own or could borrow to prove it works.

I have not heard of anyone not being able to achieve an update once they found the best speed for their kit. Hornby has worked hard to fix the bricked Elite at update problem and the latest installer is the result.

now if I could figure out how to use this installer with the older update versions, everyone would be happy.

Rob

Fishy, i have no problem with anybody who wishes to recommend/ tell posters to update their own Elite , but i am not going to be amongst them. We have no idea how many probs or not, there have been, as hornby are silent on any feedback. The difference between 1.41, and 1.42, is so tiny, that to my mind its better left as is., eg, working. If it aint broke, etc .  I really am very  happy to advise on anything, that i know  about model trains, and banter with my fellow posters, but there is a line that i wont cross. If i am not prepared to risk my Elite by updating it, john, in all conscience, i cant advise somebody else to. 

Archived