Decoder Installation Guides
Think fitting DCC Decoders is difficult? Follow our step by step guides to see just how easy fitting a chip can be!
The following guides are to aid you in the installation of DCC decoder chips in to specific locos from the Hornby range.
Accessories (click to choose)
Steam & Diesel Locomotives
Thomas & Friends
|R351 Thomas the Tank Engine (0-6-0) Decoder Installation||R9097 'D7101' Decoder Installation|
|R9070 'Oliver' Decoder Installation
||R852 'James' Decoder Installation
|R9046 Toby the Tram Decoder Installation
||R9064 'Diesel' Decoder Installation
Decoder Wiring Diagram
- Remove the plug from the chip.
- Locate the wires from the pick ups and remove from motor.
- Solder Black & Red wires from chip, one to each pick up wire.
- Solder Grey & Orange wires to the motor contacts. There should be no other connections from the pick ups to the motor and any bare wires need to be isolated to prevent short circuits. If the locomotive has lights, follow the colour diagram shown.
- Locate a suitable decoder position.
- Make sure all excess wires are bundled up so not to interfere with wheels, gears & valve gears.
- Test and programme loco to unit.